The Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit- Somalia (FSNAU) seeks to provide evidence-based analysis of Somali food, nutrition and livelihood security to enable both short-term emergency responses and long-term strategic planning to promote food and livelihood security for Somali people.
Closing date: 09 Apr 2009
Location: Kenya - Nairobi, with frequent travel to Somalia
The Food Security Analyst will work under the overall supervision of the Chief, Special Emergency Programmes Service (TCES) and the Officer-in-Charge for Somalia, the immediate managerial and technical supervision of the Chief Technical Advisor (CTA) of the Food Security and Nutrition Analysis Unit (FSNAU), and the technical guidance of the Lead Technical Unit (LTU) at headquarters.
Specifically, the Food Security Analyst will :
Provide technical leadership and management to the FSNAU Food Security Analysis team in relevant sectors for analysis (climate, agriculture, livestock, urban and markets), livelihood indicator monitoring, seasonal assessments, integrated livelihoods-based food security analysis and emergency food security assessments, ensuring high quality, efficiency and timeliness in the delivery of analysis and outputs;
Ensure the technical integration of key sectors for food security analysis including nutrition, agriculture, pastoralism, economics, and climatology. Also ensure the technical integration of various scales of food security analysis including at community up to the macro-level, while developing and using appropriate technical methods and techniques, such as Integrated Food Security and Humanitarian Phase Classification (IPC), Household Economy Approach (HEA), Sustainable Livelihoods Approach (SLA), Geographic Information System (GIS) and remote sensing, market analysis, and others;
Assume a leadership role in technically directing, writing, reviewing, and editing the FSNAU food security analysis reports and publications (e.g. Technical Series Report, Food Security and Nutrition Briefs) and products (Web site updates and presentations);
Manage all daily activities of the Food Security Team, which includes four senior analysts based in Nairobi and a team of 16 Field Analysts based in Somalia, ensuring staff follow proper procedures, policies and standards; evaluate performance of the Food Security Team using FAO/FSNAU guidelines;
Develop Food Security Team annual work plans and update as necessary in consultation with other technical managers and the CTA in support of the overall work plan for the FSNAU;
Assist the Chief Technical Advisor in developing strategic directions for the FSNAU, including conceptual frameworks, methods, and communication strategies. Work closely with other FSNAU Technical Managers (Nutrition, Research and Capacity, and Data Systems), ensuring a coherent and integrated approach to all analysis conducted by FSNAU;
Perform other related duties and activities, as required.
Candidates should meet the following:
- Advanced university degree in Agricultural Economics or in a related field
- Seven years of relevant work experience in food security analysis, including in Africa
- Working knowledge of English.
Candidates will be assessed against the following:
- Demonstrated ability in the implementation of analytical methodologies and techniques such as IPC, HEA , SLA, macro-economic analysis, GIS and remote sensing;
- Extent of knowledge of food security analysis using statistical techniques (e. g. SPSS Statistical Package for the Social Sciences) and qualitative skills (e.g., HEA methods and related participatory techniques)
- Experience in working under strict deadlines;
- Managerial experience especially in supervising teams of professionals from different backgrounds;
- Quality of communication, writing and presentation skills in English;
- Extent of experience in African countries under protracted crisis, particularly Somalia
Send your application to:
Chief, Special Emergency Programmes Service (TCES)
FAO Via delle Terme di Caracalla 00100 Rome ITALY
Fax No: +39 06 5705 4941